The Bottom Line

I love craft beer. Brewing it, drinking it, sharing it, and learning about it. There are some great websites out there that allow people to review craft beers, but I hate to rely on stranger's opinions of how good or bad a certain beer is! What I want to accomplish with this blog is to provide a constantly building stream of personal opinions, recommendations, and interesting information on various beer styles and breweries as I enjoy them. As the blog continues, I hope you will notice similarities and differences between our tastes and use this to help you in your exploration of the craft beer universe!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Beyond Taste

While the bottom line of a good beer is naturally a good taste, there is a keg's worth of other aspects to consider in discussing a craft beer. As noted at the top of this page, there are some well known and somewhat respected review websites that anyone else can go to, fill in a few answers to generalized questions which we may or may not even understand, and have those go on to alter the site's overall rating of said beer.

Here, on the other hand, I will express my opinions of each beer in a less structured and hopefully easier to follow way. I'm going to be as inclusive as possible without completely over analyzing and striping the fun away from the main pint!


Homebrewing For Dummies suggests, in order, the five steps of beer evaluation to be Smell, Look, Taste, Aftertaste, and Reflect. I've used those steps as a guide, but branched out a bit to make this blog a little more informative.

Some of the categories I plan to touch on for each beer are as follows...

Label Art and Blurbs(to include ABV)
Nasal Observations During Pour
Visual Observations During Pour
Head(Foam)
Nasal Observations After Settling
Visual Observations After Settling
First Taste
Second Taste
Aftertaste
Overall Opinion
Last Taste

I am also going to be suggesting pairing options for food, similar beers, and what serving size I would suggest (This could be anywhere from "just a taste" to "let's order a keg each".).

Interesting tid bits or trivia about the brewery will be supplied when appropriate.

Again, I hope this blog provides you with some decent information about the beer you are, or may soon be drinking, but if nothing else maybe you will find my sense of humor entertaining enough to keep coming back!

No comments:

Post a Comment