The Bottom Line

I love craft beer. Brewing it, drinking it, sharing it, and learning about it. There are some great websites out there that allow people to review craft beers, but I hate to rely on stranger's opinions of how good or bad a certain beer is! What I want to accomplish with this blog is to provide a constantly building stream of personal opinions, recommendations, and interesting information on various beer styles and breweries as I enjoy them. As the blog continues, I hope you will notice similarities and differences between our tastes and use this to help you in your exploration of the craft beer universe!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

I think it's been long enough...

Well, it's been 6 months since I've posted on this blog. Utter failure. I've decided to continue evolving this thing to make it more enjoyable for me to post on and you to read! I'd like to branch out more from just my tasting notes of craft beers(some of them being hard bottles to come by), and post about beer events, beer news, and my own brewing experiences. All things beer! That's the spirit I've wanted to channel all along, but it takes a bit of refinement. Thanks for hanging on for the ride.

Biggest news first, I got married last weekend! Beth and I finally tied the knot in Richmond VA with 200 of our family and close friends. We used the entire holiday(Memorial Day)weekend to celebrate and entertain out of town guests starting with a large rehearsal dinner on Friday night at Glave Kocen art gallery, catered by Olli's(formerly European Market).

We had some great beers there by the bottle, including a chicory stout that Andy Hannas brewed at my bachelor party on Afton Mountain in April. Here was the line up...

My parents and sister picked these six out after a tasting session with Jason from Ollio's. Lucky bastards! What a great variety though. I think there was something here for everyone, and I'm sure more than a few people got a chance to try some breweries and styles of beer that they hadn't ever tasted before, which is ALWAYS a good thing!

While in Richmond, we made a point to eat and drink at a few restaurants our friends work at, to include Six Burner, Black Sheep, Joe's Inn, Mekong, and Q.

At Six Burner, Beth and I got to try two beers from Southern Tier brewery which is actually located in New York state. We don't get them in San Diego, so it was our first taste of the brewery. On tap, they had the "2xIPA" and "Choklat Stout". Man, the first thing I can say about either of these beers is that they were heavy on the palate. Totally fucking delicious, but definitely not a chugging beer.

Bell's "Oberon" was in heavy rotation almost everywhere we went for a very good reason. Oberon is a crispily hopped wheat ale, quite refreshing in the midday heat of a Virginia summer. I would love to spend an afternoon in a hammock with a mini keg of this stuff.

I could go on and on about Bell's Brewery right now. They're my favorite brewery of the moment, and I think they've been filling in a lot of gaps that Dogfish Head has been leaving out on their recent adventures with intense tasting beers. I'm going out on a limb here, but in my mind Bell's is an East Coast parallel to Sierra Nevada.

More on the trip tomorrow(or possibly Wednesday since I have school tomorrow and Tuesday)

1 comment: